Help, Information, Revision and Mock Tests about the CSCS Card Test

blue cscs card

Blue CSCS Card: Skilled Worker Card

By admin on March 10, 2018 in CSCS Cards with 24 Comments

The construction industry has probably the most diverse pool of workers among all industries today. As a matter of fact, the industry covers almost all of the most important skills needed in order to build a stable foundation. Because of its significance in the society, construction companies make sure that all its employees are qualified and competent.

In order to ensure competence among workers and at the same time, make them aware of the basic health, safety and environmental issues on site, the CSCS or Construction Skills Certification Scheme was introduced.

Because of the difference in skill level and competence, the scheme introduced colour-coded cards that will be issued according to the qualification of the worker.

If you are a skilled worker, then the Blue CSCS Card is the right one for you.

How to Apply for a Blue CSCS Card?

The following requirements must be complied with:

  1. The worker must prove that he has sufficient training and qualification to carry out the job.
  2. The worker must submit an application that is relevant to the occupation.

You must have one of the following:

  • The worker must achieve Level 2 NVQ or SVQ
  • A NARIC report and certificate equivalent to NVQ level 2 (this route goes through appeal and will require additional documents.)


  • The worker must have completed an employer sponsored apprenticeship. This should also include the achievement of a City and Guilds of London Institute Craft Certificate.
  • You must take and pass the Operative Citb Health, Safety and Environment Test. This means out of 50 questions, he should be able to get a score of 47.

On the other hand, if the worker does not have any of the qualifications mentioned in numbers (2) and (3), yet experienced in his job, he can apply for an Experienced Worker Card.

What documents do I need if I use a NARIC certificate?

If you would like to use NARIC to apply, you will need to send the following documents:

  • Detailed CV
  • A copy of original qualifications (preferably translated)
  • Current job description on site
  • One specific occupation to be endorsed on the card

Please note, we cannot guarantee you will receive the card via this route.

For more information relating to NARIC, click here.

The Blue CSCS Card – Craft Unit Level

This type of CSCS card can be given to occupations where full NVQ or SVQ does not exist but has passed the trade specific units. The Operative Health, Safety and Environment test must also be taken.

How long is it valid for?

The Blue CSCS Card – Skilled Workers is valid for five years and it can be renewed.

How much does the Blue Card cost?

A total fee of £49.50 must be paid upon application – £19.50 for the HS&E Test and £30.00 for the card processing.

Other CSCS Card Types

To read up on all the other types of CSCS cards click here.

There Are 24 Comments Below

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  1. Stuart Golding-Smith says:

    I hold the City&Guilds for fibre optic installation terminating and testing and data installation, terminating and testing, does this qualify me for a blue skilled workers card.

  2. Habib says:

    I still doing my brickwork level two diplom in College .
    Can l book my test and get blue CSCS card before l finish my diplom .
    Inform me please .

    • admin says:

      For the Blue CSCS card (Skilled worker)

      You will be able to apply for a blue CSCS card if you have either of these:

      Achieved a construction related NVQ or SVQ level 2


      If you have finished an employer-sponsored apprenticeship which has included the achievement of a City and Guilds of London Institute Craft Certificate.

      Otherwise, if you have not completed either of those qualifications, but have experienced in your job you may apply for an Experienced worker card if you have registered for a qualification applicable to your occupation.

      Everyone must pass the CITB Health, Safety and Environment test to gain a CSCS Blue card. The Blue CSCS Card is valid for 5 years.

      • Gheorghe Ungureanu says:

        I am from Romania,tiler and painter with 18 years experience and diploma for these qualifications. Can I apply for the blue card? Thank you

  3. Jonathan Mount says:

    How much does a blue Cscs card cost I have a green one it runs out 2020 so is this a new law that people need it

  4. Chris says:

    I just finished my NVQ level 2 in railway Engineering can I get the blue CSCS ?

    • admin says:

      Hi Chris, there are a few more steps you need to take to get your blue CSCS card, take a look above and it will show you what you need to do.

  5. Chris says:

    I just finished my NVQ level 2 in railway Engineering can I get the blue CSCS ??

  6. Constantin alexandru says:

    Hello i have s/nvq lvl2 standard and i have cscs labourer green card how do i get my blue tiler card?? All sites on internet take me to cscs card..

  7. steve says:

    Hi my blue card run out 2014 I took h&s test 2yeas ago but never applied for new card but I need one can i take test and get new card.

  8. Sarah Jackson says:

    I have somebody working in carpentry for many years gaining his qualification abroad – Montserrat, West Indies. However does not have the certification – How can he go about getting a blue card please? Will he have to apply to the college to undertake learning again? Looking forward to hearing your reply

  9. Sam Busby says:

    I have been roofing for over twenty years (since the age of fifteen ) i hold various qualifications in differant types of roofing (grp /epdm /singleply /lead bossing_welding)but im mainly a pitched roofer tiler/slater but did not attend collage for this all skills were obtained with on job expereance i would like to obtain my blue cscs card as i only have my green one at the moment and im not sure what to do next advise please

  10. David Mannion says:

    Hi I have a green card for painting decorating but have city guilds level 3 on the back do I qualify for a blue card

  11. Andrew says:

    I have passed an NVQ but I am not sure if it is a tica registered one it is for skilled workers card

  12. Glyn Nicholls says:

    I am a corian soild surface fabricatour. I have been doing this since 2001 . So can I get a blue card

  13. andrew fleming says:

    hi I don’t have any qualifications I am a painter and decorator which I have been doing for the past 30 years how could I obtain a blue cscs card so I can stay in the trade and get on site